Is your libido lagging? Do you want more satisfaction and excitement in your sex life? There are many natural ways to increase your libido and spice up your sex life.
- First, check your health! – Medical reasons could be behind your lack of interest in the bedroom. If your body is fighting somethings there is no energy left for feeling frisky. And for women, some medical issues can actually mean that sex is painful and certain medications for blood pressure depression, anxiety and even birth control may inhibit desire. This is why it is very important to get a medical check up if you are experiencing any symptoms or are experiencing an uncharacteristic decrease in desire.
- Mind over Matter – Too many times, people let body image or a bad day get in the way of true intimacy. If your mind is running on a negative feedback loop, it is time to stop it in its tracks! Recognize the negative thought and immediately replace it with a positive one. And remember, according to the International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, people with more open attitudes towards sex are better able to explore their sexuality without feeling guilty.
- Using a Lubricant is Not a Cope Out – All too often women feel that having vaginal dryness is a failing and they are not always comfortable addressing the issue. However, sex can be much more pleasurable when you use a lubricant as it cuts down on friction (and irritation!). You can buy an over the counter lubricant from the local drugstore, purchase a more ‘boutique’ one online or you can DIY with something like coconut oil. (However, be sure to use NON latex condoms if you DIY as some oils can damage latex.)
- Increase Exercise and Increased Libido go Hand in Hand! – According to a study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, men with erectile dysfunction (ED) can sometimes reverse this issue by embarking on a healthy lifestyle of increase exercise and good nutrition. Exercise increases blood flow all over!
- Good Sleep equals Good Sex – Sleep is another natural factor that can impact libido. One of the reasons for this is that hormone secretion is controlled by the body’s internal clock, and sleep patterns likely help the body determine when to release certain hormones related to sex. For both men and women, feeling tired when you get into bed zaps whatever libido you may have had even moments earlier.
- Meditation, Mindfulness and Yoga – Sometimes the stress of everyday living can take its toll on a romantic moment. You are tempted to think about what is still on your ‘to do list’, you might be worried the kids might burst in or you remember the thing you forgot to do at work.
Controlling your thoughts and keeping your attention on the moment are great ways to increase your libido. Taking medication classes and being more aware, of your thoughts are all ways to control the clutter in your mind while practices like yoga can improve pelvic muscle tone, release tight hip joints and in general boost your mood through breathing exercises and relaxation techniques.