Whether you are married or in a long-term relationship, it can sometimes be a challenge to keep the spark alive in the bedroom. Family, work commitments, stress – the list of things that can get in the way can sometimes seem endless.
Here are five quick (and key!) suggestions for making sure you can turn that spark into a flame!
- Communication – Remember that communication if of paramount importance when it comes to intimacy. While sexual intimacy is a continuous process of discovery, true intimacy only comes through honest and straightforward communication. Tell each other what you want! And, of course, it goes without saying that if you are grouchy all day, the chances of getting lucky at night go way down!
- Set the Mood – Don’t expect your partner to be the one responsible for romance. When life become busy and hectic, make sure you set the mood and plan for a romantic encounter. One way is to send each other flirty texts, or phone calls. Hold hands, show affection and in general be glad to see each other!
- New Things – Be open to trying new things. On ‘date night’ try new things, go to new places. Emphasize finding out what each of you think is ‘fun’ and take turns trying what the other person finds exciting.
- Expectations – Be sure and manage your expectations. Sex is not always like it is in the movies and it will not be perfect every time. And, do not underestimate the power of the ‘quickie’! And, on the flip side, make the power of abstinence work for you! If you wait and actually develop ‘lustful’ thoughts for each other, it can make the spark ignite into a bonfire.
- Healthy Habits – Eating green things is not always top on everyone’s must do list for keeping romance alive! However, if you each concentrate on healthy eating and exercise, you will feel much better and find that you are ‘in the mood’ much more often instead of complaining about how you feel!